Charles Herbert Aslin inherited three incomplete projects when he arrived in Derby in 1928, one of which was to complete Exeter Bridge. Borough Surveyor C A Clews had completed the portion up to the road surface, but Aslin redesigned the top with a Classical stone balustrade, with obelisks at either end supporting bronze lamps, and plaques in bas-relief commemorating four distinguished Derbeians. (1)
John Samuels Archaeological Consultants carried out a desk-based assessment of the former police station site on Full Street, Derby in 2003. The historical and archaeological development of the area is sketched, and it is noted that Exeter Bridge dates from 1931, replacing a stone bridge of 1852, which itself replaced a wooden bridge constructed in 1812. (2)
Article in serial: Craven, M. 2007. 'Herbert Charles Aslin', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 85, pp 26-28. p 26.
Unpublished document: John Samuels Archaeological Consultants (JSAC). 2003. An Archaeological Desk Based Assessment of Land at Full Street Police Station, Derby. p 28.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35472 36412 (52m by 50m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:25AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.