Newton grange is mentioned in the Domesday Book 1086 and in a document of 1445 when the grange was held by Combermere Abbey. (1, 2)
Newton Grange Farmhouse is a grade II listed building, dating from the mid 18th century and 19th century. It is constructed of coursed rubble limestone with gritstone dressings. (3)
Craven and Stanley record that a modest two storey farmhouse of 17th century date is all that remains of the original 15th century farmhouse. The present house may contain the original core of this 15th century building. (4)
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 2208. 2208. 2208.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 54.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1650 5351 (127m by 91m)
NEWTON GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 20 2015 11:42AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.