Site record MDR11472 - Midland Railway, Manchester branch, Ambergate to Rowsley section, Derbyshire Dales

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1846 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway Act of 1846 led to the establishment of the upper section of the line between Ambergate and Rowsley, followed by its extension to Buxton under the Midland Railway (Rowsley and Buxton) Act of 1860. The Ambergate to Rowsley section opened on June 4 1849, with the Buxton extension being opened between 1863 and 1867. By 1871 the Midland Railway had taken over the whole of the line. George Stephenson was appointed engineer in 1846. In drawing up plans it is believed two curves were proposed at Ambergate to join the main line, although only the north one was put in. This passed straight through the station house of the North Midland line, which was dismantled and re-erected close to the northern portal of Toadmoor Tunnel. The North Junction and associated sidings gave access for freight traffic, whilst a line running off the outside of the curve towards the rear of the existing station served a new platform for passenger trains. The line south of Ambergate was changed between 1862 and 1863 when considering the traffic requirements for the line extension to Manchester; it was changed again in 1873, creating a new station, a new middle curve line and three junctions. (1) Route of the Midland Railway within Rowsley parish within the National Park. Comprises the 1860 extension of the Midland Railway, north to Bakewell and Manchester (NGR: SK 2492 6600 - SK 2609 6500). (2, 3)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • --- Unpublished document: Smalley, H. 2010. An Archaeological Desk-based Assessment of the Buxton to Bakewell Cycle Path, Derbyshire.
  • <1> Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site.
  • <2> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection.
  • <3> Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection.
  • <4> Unpublished document: Webster, T (Gifford). 2008. Cawdor Quarry, Matlock: Archaeological Excavation and Watching Brief.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 34688 51886 (21426m by 22111m)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (4)

  • EDR4984
  • EDR3878
  • EDR3895
  • EDR4710

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 2 2020 4:48PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.