In 1863 the Midland Railway received assent for a new branch railway from Duffield to Wirksworth, with an additional short stretch to connect with the Cromford and High Peak Railway (at that time leased by the LNWR). The line opened to passengers in 1867. The main purpose of this line was to provide the Midland with an alternative route to Rowsley, to connect with the route to Manchester. However, before the stretch between Wirksworth and Rowsley could be built, the LNWR capitulated, the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock and Midlands Junction Railway passed into the Midland’s hands, and the Wirksworth line was neither extended nor provided with a second line of rails. The railway closed as a passenger link in 1947. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34582 43516 (6247m by 11811m)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2018 10:44AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.