Building record MDR11483 - Outbuildings southwest of The Greyhound Hotel, Cromford
Type and Period (1)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Georgian to Victorian - 1770 AD? to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
A range of buildings to the rear of the service yard adjoining The Greyhound Hotel. The range, which backs onto the mill pond, is first depicted on the Tithe Award Map of 1841. By 1880 it had had a wing added, at right angles, projecting into the yard. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of that date has the word 'Smithy' overlapping the building on the mill-pond side. While the later wing, which is of stone with an external stone stair leading to the first floor, has the status of a curtilage listed building, the former smithy does not have this protection. As a result, it was the subject of a brief survey in 2004. It is a red brick building, the type of brick indicating a possibly late 18th century date. At the time of survey, the building's most distinctive feature was a pair of blind Diocletian windows to the first floor of the yard elevation. It retained what was almost certainly its original roof and roof covering, possibly of Swithland slates. A request in 2004 for the building to be listed was refused, and it has since been converted to a dwelling, with many of the historical features lost. (1)
- <1> SDR20373 Unpublished document: Joyce, B. 2004. Outbuildings to The Greyhound Hotel, Cromford. Notes in SMR parish file..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2947 5691 (19m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM