Monument record MDR1150 - Bostern Grange Farm, Newton Grange
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Bostern Grange, Newton Grange. Partially extant 19th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyardof a fully enclosed plan with additional detached elements to the main plan. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The site is in an isolated location. Large modern sheds have been identified on the site, and may have destroyed or obscured historic buildings. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4) Bostern Grange, located south-east of Milldale, belonged to Burton Abbey, which was dissolved 1538. (5,6). Bostern Grange is not included on Hart's list of medieval granges. (7) There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (8) The present Bostern Grange Farm has 19th century or earlier origins, as it is shown on the OS map of c. 1880. (9)
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR10407 Index: NDAT. 3772. 3772. 3772.
- <6> SDR6877 Bibliographic reference: Firth, J B. 1905. Highways and Byways in Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 155.
- <8> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25.
- <9> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 152 533 (280m by 149m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||NEWTON GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 3:32PM