Skip to main content

Site record MDR11507 - Dominican Friary (site of), Friar Gate, Derby

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map (and later OS maps) has 'Friary on site of Friary' (the latter in Gothic text to indicate antiquity) (1) A Priory of Dominican Friars at Derby, founded before 1239 and dissolved in 1539, stood on the site of the present Friary Hotel, a mid-18th century building. A much older wall exists behind the hotel, and there are the remains of an earlier building in the cellars which may well be part of the old Friary. (2, 3) There is no material earlier than the 18th century in the hotel exterior; the rear is completely modern. Some of the cellar fabric may be medieval but cannot be conclusively dated. (4) The Friers is shown on Speed's map of 1610. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Article in serial: Williamson, F.. 1942. 'Old Derby Street-names', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 63, pp1-27. p 9.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D & Hadcock, R. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. p 184.
  • <4> Personal Observation: F1 FRH 24-OCT-66.
  • <5> Map: Speed, J. 1610. Map of Derby.



Grid reference Centred SK 34835 36233 (236m by 201m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 30 2023 10:07AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.