In 1800 Sir Joseph Banks leased a house at Tansley Wood House to Frances Willoughby and John Radford, owners of the nearby Tansley Wood Mill. Subsequently the house was enlarged to a substantial size. It stands in its own parkland, overlooking the mill complex, a fine example of a rural mill owner's house. It was later acquired by the Radford family and in turn by the Drabbles before being sold and divided into flats. Tansley Wood House was built in at least three phases. It is assumed that the earliest phase relates to the lease of 1800. The map evidence of c. 1820 shows that the house had already substantially acquired its ultimate footprint with the larger north-south wing added. There is also evidence of the adjacent coach-house, although this took the form of two separate buildings at this date rather than a single terrace. The parkland and ornamental wood around Tansley Wood House, although now degraded from years of neglect, bear witness to the affluence and stature of the earlier owners. (1)
Unpublished document: Charlton, C. 1999. Research notes and illustrations produced to accompany a request to DCMS for listing.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 31480 60150 (326m by 313m)
TANSLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2016 10:38AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.