Monument record MDR11578 - Iron foundry (site of), Calow
Type and Period (1)
- FOUNDRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1850 AD)
- None recorded
The foundry is marked on Greenwood's map of 1825 and on Sanderson's map of 1837. (1, 2) By the time of the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 the area is called Furnace Hillock, and a few small buildings and a quarry are shown. It is not clear exactly where the foundry stood. (3) By the end of the century a target had been erected within the quarry, associated with a rifle range to the south-west. (4)
- <1> SDR8547 Map: Greenwood, C & I. Map of the County of Derby from an Actual Survey made in the Years 1824 & 1825. 1" = 1 mile.
- <2> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 40540 69728 (156m by 153m)|
|Civil Parish||CALOW, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:19AM