Range of outbuildings and stables of 17th and 19th century date. Constructed of coursed squared sandstone with
sandstone dressings. The roofs are of stone slate with stone coped gables. The irregular one and two storey ranges form the south side of a large enclosed courtyard. (1)
An investigation of the historic buildings to the south side of the stableyard at Hardwick Hall was carried out by AOC Archaeology in 2006. The investigation established that many of the buildings were of 17th century date, with 19th century modifications. Although a number of new buildings were added at this time, they were built in a similar style to the earlier buildings. The earliest structure appears to be what was originally a smithy built before 1610. (2)
The range of buildings that form the service court to the south of Hardwick Hall date between the 17th and 19th centuries. The west range is Grade II listed and the southern range is Grade II*. An early account mentions the existence of a bakehouse, brew-house, washhouse, dairy, slaughterhouse, chandler's house and, near a second stable, a still house and smithy. In January 2008 the former smithy at the east end of the southern range was excavated and 20 test pits were dug at various places along the range prior to proposed redevelopment. The earliest features recorded were focused on the smithy. This is first depicted on maps dating to 1610 and perhaps originated in the late 1500s. Although a number of surfaces/paths were identified within and around the smithy, few produced artefacts that could date these associated features. In addition to the smithy, a 19th century cobble and stone path was recorded and is a rare survival at the site, as indicated by widespread modern truncation, particularly along the western part of the evaluated area. Finds comprised a range of post-medieval and later pottery, glass, brick and tile, as well as industrial residues associated with the smithy. (3)
Cottages have been restored and are now in use. Proposals are being considered for the stables. (4)
Unpublished document: Lodoen, A (ARS Ltd). 2018. Archaeological Watching Brief at Hardwick Hall Estate.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1051634.
Unpublished document: Simons, E and Watson, C (AOC Archaeology). 2007. The stableyard, Hardwick Hall. Historical buildings assessment.
Unpublished document: Cope-Faulkner, P (APS). 2008. Archaeological Evaluation of Land at the Stable Yard, Hardwick Hall, Ault Hucknall, Derbyshire (HHSY 07).
Unpublished document: Bolsover District Council. 2008. Bolsover District Council Historic Environment Scheme 2008-2012.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 46310 63469 (140m by 38m)
AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2020 5:16PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.