G H Fletcher & Sons Factory. Single storey lace factory with northern lights situated on the south side of Derby Road, Heanor. The Fletcher family has been making lace in Heanor since 1835, beginning at Tag Hill but moving to the Derby Road site in 1838. The present building dates from 1905. (1)
In 1905 the firm of Fletchers lace makers moved from their old factory on Derby Road [SMR 20521] to a new factory. This had two shops, 62 feet long and 50 feet wide, which housed 16 224-inch and 16 176-inch Levers machines, and a third shop housed auxiliary equipment for warping and winding. In 1926 the firm became known as George Henry Fletcher & Sons. George specialised in Levers laces and silk veilings. When he retired in 1924, the business was taken over by his sons, George Collin, Frederick and Stuart. George Collin's son, Geoffrey, and Stuart's son, John, later entered the Heanor business and by 1959 the 26,105 square feet factory housed 41 raschel lace machines, 18 plain net machines and 12 Levers machines. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1993. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazeteer of Sites Part III: Borough of Amber Valley.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 42699 46144 (50m by 71m)
HEANOR AND LOSCOE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:39AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.