Monument record MDR11598 - William Beardsley & Sons Workshop/Factory (site of), Primrose Street, Cotmanhay
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1866 AD to 1976 AD)
Loading documents & images
William Beardsley trained as a framework knitter and began warp knitting in Duke Street in 1828, moving to Primrose Hill about 1866. Four sons joined him in the business. Lace mittens were made by the firm until 1937; veilings and patterned net were also manufactured and a very profitable line was coffin laces, which were produced until 1974. After 1956 there was a gradual fall-off in orders and the firm closed in 1976. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp 293-294.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 46446 43375 (86m by 35m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 17 2010 4:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.