In 1756 a Trust was set up to improve the roads linking Derby with Duffield Chesterfield and Sheffield, with a branch from Duffield to Wirksworth [see SMR 99054]. These roads were 'in a ruinous condition, especially in the winter season, and in many places very narrow and incommodious'. In the Act the roads were divided into three districts - Derby and Duffield; Duffield and Sheffield; and Duffield and Wirksworth. These districts had separate officers, accounts etc, although they remained under the supervision of the same trustees and were included in the same subsequent Acts. The revenue from the busy Derby and Duffield district was to be divided between the other two, since they would not carry as much traffic. (1)
Article in serial: Radley, J & Penny, S. 1972. 'The turnpike roads of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 92, pp 93-109. pp 95-96.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 39152 57687 (4825m by 43695m)
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 23 2022 6:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.