Site record MDR1161 - Broadlowash, Thorpe
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
Broadlowash, Thorpe. Partially extant 19th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyard with multiple yards. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site is in an isolated location. Large modern sheds have been identified on the site, and may have destroyed or obscured historic buildings. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4) Broadlow is recorded in Domesday Book (1086). The later added '-ash' must have been due to some prominent ash-tree there. A grange is mentioned at Broadlow Ash in 1508, 1561 and 1607. (5). The hilltop situation of Broadlowash which overlooks a stream is a good location for a medieval grange, the site of which may be covered by the current farm complex. No earthworks are visible but the site includes ridge and furrow. When the ridge and furrow was sectioned for a water pipe, the ground was found to be very stony. (6). There is no documentary evidence as to the parent house of Broadlow Ash Grange. (7) SK 160501, Broadlow Ash Hall. 'Here stood, from before 1546, when it was in the possession of George Beresford, "a good old stone house and a fine park walled about". About 1550 it was leased to Henry, son of Henry Milward, but was granted to the 1st Earl of Salisbury in 1608. He did not use it and it was sold in 1613 to the Boothbys. They sold out to Nicholas Twigge, whose grandson demolished in it 1795, when the outhouses were converted into two farmhouses; he subsequently bequeathed the estate to F T Foljambe. It must have been a substantial seat, the Boothbys paying tax on 12 hearths in 1670. (8)
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2204, 3802.
- <6> SDR18913 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1984. The Derbyshire Country House, Vol II. p 85.
- <7> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. pp 408.
- <8> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. pp 155.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1591 5014 (116m by 104m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||THORPE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2020 11:08AM