A map of Belper and Heage surveyed in 1698 shows a straight broken line extending from the River Derwent on the west across to a gate at what is now Boothgate. This is named as 'Wall of partition', presumably between Belper and Heage townships, as most of the line is still a parish boundary today. The exception is the easternmost end (c. 400m), which has either been altered or was just shown schematically on the map. (1)
Heage Common was enclosed in 1771 by Act of Parliament. There had been in the past some, so called, agreed enclosures. The wall dividing, "that part of Belper Ward that lieth in Higheadge" was shown on a map, drawn up by John Halton of Wingfield, in 1698. The walls built quickly after the enclosure all abut this wall, which still forms the boundary between Heage and Belper. A footpath crosses the common north/south, which probably follows the original line of the ancient ridgeway, with a waymarker shown on Haltons Map as a Pinnacle. (2)
Map: Halton, J. 1698. Belper and Headge in Com. Derb. (Derby City Library map collection).
Unpublished document: Judge, T (Ripley Historical Group). 1993. Some places of interest in Heage Village.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3552 4977 (2296m by 815m)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.