Monument record MDR11685 - Milepost opposite Moor Farm, Shardlow
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Cast iron bobbin milepost. The circular stem is painted black and is inscribed 'HARRISON. DERBY'. The cylindrical head is painted white with black raised lettering set in panels. In one panel is 'LONDON/120/ MILES' and in the other 'DERBY/6/MILES'. (1) In 1985 the milepost was described as being in good condition, but leaning over. (2) Comparison of historic maps and the modern map indicates that the milepost has been moved at some point in the 20th century. The 2nd ed. OS map of 1901 shows it to have been on the same side of the road but about 90m to the north-west. (3) In July 2009 the milepost was reported missing by a member of the public, although whether it was actually stolen or had been removed for repainting was unknown. (4)
- <1> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/SHA/01.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.1, with photos.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LV.12, 1901.
- <4> SDR20954 Unpublished document: Leigh, P. 2009. Internal email re possible theft of a listed milepost.
|Grid reference||SK 4277 3060 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 4:22PM