Skip to main content

Monument record MDR11689 - Rifle range (site of), Combs Moss, Chapel-en-le-Frith

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A rifle range is shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880. Stations every 50 yards up to a maximum of 800 yards are depicted as earthworks extending north-westwards, with three additional earthworks to the south-east presumably representing the target. (1) The rifle range is not named on the 2nd ed. OS map of 1898, although some earthworks are depicted for the easternmost rifle stations (50 yards to 350 yards) and the target. (2) It is clear from aerial photographs taken in 1971 that some earthworks remained at that time. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XV.1.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XV.1; 1898.
  • <3> Aerial Photograph: 1971. Fairey Surveys 1:12000. AP_18_101.



Grid reference Centred SK 06018 78375 (744m by 352m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 30 2009 8:43AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.