Monument record MDR11691 - Normanton Brick Works (site of) and ?associated housing, Normanton, Derby
Type and Period (3)
- BRICKWORKS (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)
- TERRACE (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a brickyard on the east side of Sinfin Lane to the south of the Midland Railway Line. Various buildings are shown, including one which is circular. A row of terraced housing at the western end of the brickyard may have been built to house workers at the site. The brickyard must have been established after 1848, as it is not shown on the Tithe Map. (1, 2) The 2nd edition of 1901 names the site as 'Normanton Brick Works'. It had expanded eastwards by this time, with much larger buildings and a windmill for pumping water at the south-east end of the site. (3) By the time of the 3rd edition the brickworks are marked as disused. (4) Modern maps show no evidence of the brickworks; however, the row of terraced houses survives. (5)
- <1> SDR20623 Map: 1848. Plan of the Township of Normanton in the County of Derby with parts of Sinfin Moor [Tithe Map].
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LV.1.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LV.1, 1901.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet LV.1.
- <5> SDR19814 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Mastermap, 1:10000.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35226 33054 (239m by 186m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 6 2015 10:01AM