Monument record MDR11694 - Fishpond, Common Wood, Ault Hucknall

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A pond is shown at this site on Sanderson's map of 1835, although somewhat narrower than the present body of water. (1) The 1st edition 25" OS map names the feature as 'Fish Pond' with earthwork symbols depicting the dam at the northern end of the pond and a weir named at the north-west end. (2) The feature is still named as 'Fish Pond' on the 2nd edition of 1898, although a pumping engine and shaft are depicted immediately to the west, between the pond and the railway line. (3) In the early 20th century the pond was enlarged westwards across the site of the pumping engine and shaft. It is named on the OS map as 'Reservoir'. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXI.2.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXI.2, 1898.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet XXXI.2.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 46677 66545 (90m by 191m)
Civil Parish AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 14 2017 11:20AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.