Monument record MDR11696 - Mineral railway (route of), Carnfield Colliery to the Cromford Canal

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A 'Railway' connecting Carnfield Colliery with the Cromford Canal was in existence in the 1830s, as it is shown on Sanderson's map of 1835. (1). It was still in use in the 1880s, as it is depicted on the 1st ed. 25" OS map, and named as 'Tramway'. By that time it also had a connection with the Mansfield Branch of the Midland Railway, via a small siding named 'Carnfield Siding', although a single track appears to have continued on to a wharf on the canal. (2). The tramway had evidently been dismantled by the end of the 19th century, as it is no longer shown on the 2nd ed. OS map. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXV.16.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXV.16; 1900.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 44033 54596 (1305m by 1144m)
Civil Parish PINXTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 22 2016 10:40AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.