Although the present Southgate House probably dates from the early 19th century, it appears to stand on the site of an earlier house, as a record of 1829 notes it as: '… a delightful residence, it was purchased and rebuilt at a great expense by the present patron (Henry Bowdon) and is now the chief family seat'. The earlier house may well have been associated with Southgate House's walled garden and stables. It was described in 1857 as '… a handsome modern mansion, fronting the east on the Chesterfield and Worksop road'. The term 'modern' again suggests that the present building was constructed in the early 19th century. During World War II the house was requisitioned, first as an army camp and later as a prisoner of war camp. At some point after the war it was sold to the Van Dyke Brothers, who developed the house as a hotel and the walled garden as a plant nursery and a tea room. The hotel was extensively renovated during the early 1970s, and no original internal fixtures or fittings were noted during a visit in 2007, although two brick vaulted cellars survive, possibly from the original house. The hotel incorporates a Roman Catholic Chapel that was built in 1901, although this was heavily remodeled during the 1970s. (1)
Unpublished document: Scurfield, C (CS Archaeology). 2007. An Archaeological Desk-based Assessment: the Van Dyk Hotel and Garden Centre, Clowne, Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 49804 77106 (30m by 44m)
CLOWNE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 8:54AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.