Monument record MDR11720 - Pinfold (remains of), Elmton Green, Elmton
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a 'D'-shaped pinfold which uses a farm boundary wall as its straight side and extends out onto Elmton Common. (1)
The foundations of Elmton pinfold had become overgrown with weeds and covered with rubble. In spring 1984 the Creswell Archaeological and Natural History Society cleared the area, revealing the whole of the pinfold wall to a height of two courses of stones above ground level. The 'D'-shaped enclosure measured 10.5m along its straight side and was 10m deep. The entrance gateway was partly rebuilt to give an impression of its original appearance. Two hinge pins and a large Victorian padlock were uncovered in association with the gateway. In addition, several brass buckles from a heavy horse harness were found. (2, 3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 19.1, with photos.
Article in serial: Anon. 1984. 'The Pinfold', Creswell Archaeological and Natural History Society Newsletter. Spring 1984, pp 4-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 50461 73145 (11m by 12m)
ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:31PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.