The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 marks 'Alton Colliery (Disused)'. Two kilns are named on the map, as is an engine house, a smithy, two clay pits, a sluice and two air shafts. (1) The 2nd ed. OS map indicates that all the buildings had gone by that time and the site is shown as rough ground with a few earthworks and a pond. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3659 6369 (361m by 268m)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2012 3:29PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.