SK 3116 4027. Ice house, Kedleston. The extant ice house is located next to the south side of the Hall. The structure is shown on the OS 6" map of 1887. (1)
The red brick ice house is probably of a late 18th century date, as documentary evidence refers to the construction of one during 1760. It is entered from a doorway next to the east wall of the loggia. It has not been built below ground but instead has been covered by a rockery within the gardens and abutts against the brickwork of the stableyard. (2)
A range of buildings originally built c1760 to the west of Kedleston Hall and Kedleston parish church. A survey drawing by Samuel Wyatt, dated 1766, indicates that that the eastern part of the range was to be a part of the service range, in the form of two slaughter houses and two privies, whilst the west of the range was to consist of a greenhouse and a garden house. A survey of the range undertaken in 2016 indicates that the service rooms at the east end of the building were not included into the final scheme. This implies that the range was originally used as a garden room and a greenhouse with aspects to the south, onto the park. The greenhouse and the garden room were probably still in use in 1800, but in 1804 the heating system was removed. Part of the range, possibly the western half, was then used as an aviary. In 1920 a ornamental lily pond was dug to the south of the aviary. The lily pond was converted to a swimming pool in 1946. In the 1930s it is suggested that the east end of the building was northern openings closed and views to the south opened up. (3)
'Adjacent to the end gable of the South Range a brick vaulted Ice House was built in the mid 19th century. The entrance adapted an earlier doorway through the brick boundary wall the enclosed the east of the brewhouse yard. The ice house has a brick vault, and the ice well has been infilled.' (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 34 SW PARISH OF KEDLESTON KEDLESTON PARK 3/45 Covered Arcade and attached Ice House GV II Covered arcade and ice house. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof. Single storey. South elevation of eight bays. Round arches with impost band, except for the fifth bay from the left, which has a doorway with timber lintel and a panelled Gothic door. It provides a way through into the stable courtyard. Two C20 pergolas attached to south, on Tuscan Doric columns. Blind rear elevation. At the east end is the ice house, hidden beneath a rockery to the south and entered from the north by a full height doorway with segmental head. The interior has a passage leading to the circular ice house with a brick dome. Walls attached to north.
Listing NGR: SK3115340287.'
Bibliographic reference: Beamon, S P & Roaf, S. 1990. The Ice Houses of Britain. p 237.
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 67.
Unpublished document: Jessop, O (JESSOP). 2016. South Range, Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire: Historic Building Survey on behalf of the National Trust.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1109083.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.