The Methodists have a chapel at Pinxton wharf . (1)
The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a United Methodist Free Chapel on Alexander Terrace, which was the old Pixtonwharf area. (2)
The United Free Church Methodists have a chapel at Pinxton Wharf. This is a large and imposing structure of brick, with stone dressings. The interior is furnished throughout with pitchpine seats to accommodate 800, while 400 scholars attend the Sunday school. (3)
The chapel was still in use in the early 20th century. (4)
The population in Pinxton 1801 was 463, by 1857 it was 943 and by 1895 was 2317. By 1870 the first United Methodist Free Church at Pinxton Wharf was too small for the large number of non conformists. The new Pinxton Wharf Chapel was completed in 1887. (5)
Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel has been demolished . (6)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 766.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 676.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Smith, F. 1994. A Complete History of Pinxton. pp 186 - 90.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4538 5449 (32m by 28m)
PINXTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 22 2016 10:40AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.