Monument record MDR11753 - Old Bethel Chapel (site of), Sporton Lane, South Normanton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows the Bethel Chapel (United Free Methodist), adjacent to the 'Shoulder of Lamb' public house, South Normanton. (1) By the time of the 2nd edition OS map c. 1900 the chapel has gone out of use. (2) In 1817 Thomas Gent Snr said there to be a chapel for "the Ranters" in the Shoulder of Mutton yard - The Old Bethel. (3) Primitive Methodists arrived in South Normanton in 1817 and quickly established themselves in a small room which adjoined to the 'Shoulder of Lamb' public house, it became known as Bethel Chapel. The chapel quickly became too small for the congregation and they moved to a new chapel on Lees Lane [see SMR 12823]. Bethel Chapel was then moved into by the Wesleyan Methodists who, despite doubling its size by 1845, had to move to larger premises on the High Street [see SMR 12820]. By 1851 the Original Methodists had started meeting in Bethel Chapel but moved on to Water Lane in 1857 [see SMR 12822]. In 1867 the Original Methodists were dissolved and joined the United Methodist Free Churches who used the old Bethel Chapel until they moved into the new Bethel Chapel on Victoria Street in 1886 [see SMR 12826]. (4) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel has been demolished [2009]. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXVI - 9, 1900.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: P. Sharpe. 1982. South Normanton - A Village of Considerable Extent. Chapt. 10, p 99.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Donald M Grundy. 1986. Bethel Methodist Church, South Normanton - Lively Origins 1817-1910. pp 1-46.
  • <5> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4446 5706 (24m by 23m)
Civil Parish SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 28 2016 3:42PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.