Building record MDR11755 - Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, High Street, South Normanton
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1845 AD to 1845 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the High Street in South Normanton. (1) By the time of the 2nd and 3rd edition OS maps c. 1900 - 30, the chapel had been converted to a Sunday school. (2, 3) The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the High Street was constructed in 1845, superseding an earlier chapel [exact location unknown] which had been built in 1800. The chapel was used as a Sunday school from 1887 when it was replaced by the new chapel built next door [see SMR 12821]. (4) The first Wesleyan Chapel was built by Samuel Gill a farmer, miller and corn factor, and is now Walter Flint - Funeral Directors . (5) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building may survive . (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXVI - 9, 1900.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 684.
- <5> SDR20727 Bibliographic reference: P. Sharpe. 1982. South Normanton - A Village of Considerable Extent. Chpt 10, p 99.
- <6> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4418 5686 (15m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 22 2016 3:54PM