The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows an Independent Methodist Zion Chapel on Water Lane. (1)
By the time of the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 that chapel appears to have gone out of use. (2)
The Zion Chapel on Main Street/Water lane was built by Samuel Gill and Solomon Robinson of the Original Methodist Connection. The Original Methodists were dissolved in 1867 joining the United Methodist Free Church. The Zion Chapel was sold to Joseph Swan, Colliery Owner, in 1872 to become a Congregational Church. The chapel was purchased in 1883 by E. Sampson to be St Mark's Church of England Mission Room. (3)
The chapel is most likely to have been built in 1857 when the Original Methodists moved from the old Bethel Chapel [see SMR 12819] to the new building on Water Lane around that date. Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel has been demolished . (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXVI - 9, 1900.
Bibliographic reference: P. Sharpe. 1982. South Normanton - A Village of Considerable Extent. Chpt. 10, p 99.
Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4462 5684 (14m by 14m)
SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2011 3:56PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.