Building record MDR11758 - Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Lees Lane, South Normanton
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1827 AD? to 1827 AD?)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Lees Lane, South Normanton. (1) By the time of the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 the chapel appears to have gone out of use and is marked as an 'Institute' [Working Men's Club]. (2) The old chapel previously used by the Primitive Methodists has been converted in to a Working Men's Conservative Club. The Primitive Methodists now  worship at Zion Chapel (see SMR 12825). (3) Primitive Methodists arrived in South Normanton in 1817 and moved to the chapel on Lees Lane in 1827 after moving out of the old Bethel Chapel [see SMR 12819]. (4) Examination of modern maps is inconclusive about the buildings present state . (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXVI - 9, 1900.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 684.
- <4> SDR20717 Bibliographic reference: Donald M Grundy. 1986. Bethel Methodist Church, South Normanton - Lively Origins 1817-1910. p 1.
- <5> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4404 5659 (31m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2014 2:11PM