Monument record MDR11760 - Fish Tanks (remains of), Willersley Castle, Cromford
Type and Period (1)
- FISH TANK (Victorian - 1890 AD to 1900 AD)
- Registered Park or Garden (II) 1001459: Willersley Castle
- World Heritage Site
The site is only visible as woodland on a late 19th century OS map, but is shown as 'Fish Tanks' on an OS map at the end of the 19th century and an early 20th century OS map. (1, 2, 3) The riverside walk at Willersley Castle passes a wide, semicircular weir which was constructed c. 1783 to provide water for Arkwright's mill (now Masson Mill) on the west bank of the river. The weir, with an unusual down-stream curved profile, forms an ornamental cascade, while above to the north the river is widened. Below the weir are the remains of 19th century stone-lined fish tanks while above are the remains of a late 18th century boathouse. (4) The fish tanks were identified at SK 2954 5739 adjacent to the River Derwent on the eastern bank during survey in 2008. They consist of a stone built outer structure overgrown with vegetation, measuring 42m by 5.5m and 1.5m high, aligned north-east to south-west, and divided internally into six equal brick built compartments. A later brick only compartment has been added to the north-east end, associated with piping and a brick built structure located c. 20m to the north-east, possibly for pumping equipment. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-6.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-6, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-6.
- <4> SDR17313 Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. Part 10: Derbyshire. PG4269.
- <5> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. C2/7, Fig. 21.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2952 5738 (28m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM