Building record MDR11761 - Zion Methodist Church, Market Street, South Normanton
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1881 AD to 1881 AD)
- None recorded
The Primitive Methodist chapel on Market Street was built in 1881, at a cost of £1,100. It is a handsome brick structure, with stone dressings, in the Gothic style. The entrance is surmounted by a tower, from one corner of which rises a spiret. The interior is well lighted and comfortably furnished. The old chapel previously used has been converted into a Working Men's Conservative Club [see SMR 12823]. (1) The 2nd ed. 25" OS map of c. 1900 shows a Primitive Methodist Zion Chapel on Market Street, South Normanton. (2) The chapel had been expanded by the time of the 3rd ed. 25" OS map c. 1910. (3) The building is still in use as a place of worship . (4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 684.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXVI - 9, 1900.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4409 5666 (50m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 28 2014 2:11PM