Monument record MDR11766 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), Primrose Hill, Blackwell
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1875 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
A Wesleyan Chapel was erected [in Primrose Hill] in 1875, at a cost of £1,823, and a residence for the minister was erected in 1880, at an outlay of £870, including furniture. The chapel is a handsome building of brick, with stone dressings, in the Gothic style. The interior is neatly furnished with open benches of pitchpine, and contains a good organ, purchased in 1887 for £160. (1) A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Primrose Hill, Blackwell is shown on the 2nd and 3rd ed. 25" OS maps c. 1900. (2-3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building has been demolished, although another Wesleyan Chapel that survives today has been built on land adjacent to the earlier chapel . (4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 638.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXV - 8, 1900.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4370 5824 (51m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 22 2016 3:54PM