The 2nd ed. 25" OS map c. 1900 shows a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Alfreton Road, Westhouses, Blackwell. (1)
The residents of Westhouses belonged to the Primitive Methodist Church and met for Sunday services in the waiting room at the Railway Station at Westhouses. They held fund raising events and decided to build a church a little further down Alfreton Road. The church was built in 1897 at a cost of £700 and the debt on moving into the church was £555. By 1920 the debt was paid. The church could hold up to 200 people and all the seats were free. The membership in 1899 was 30 but in attendance each Sunday there were 150 people. In 1919 there were 15 teachers and 100 Sunday School children. The organ was installed in 1924 by Albert Keates of Sheffield, and is regularly tuned. (2)
It is still in use as a place of worship and is now named Westhouses Methodist Church . (3-4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXV - 8, 1900.
*Internet Web Site: Brenda Smith (Church Patron). The history of Westhouses Methodist Church. www.abbottdampproofing.co.uk/wmchistory.html.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 04/03/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4225 5781 (18m by 19m)
BLACKWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2014 12:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.