Building record MDR11769 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Sunday School, High Street, Tibshelf

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the High Street in Tibshelf. (1) By the end of the 19th century a Sunday School had been added to the rear of the building, on Back Lane. (2) The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat building of brick, erected in 1863, and comfortably furnished with open seats of pitchpine to accommodate 250. A commodious Sunday school was built in 1891. (3) Examination of modern maps shows that the building is still standing and is being used as a place of worship [2009]. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXI.13.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXI.13, 1899.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 691.
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4374 6051 (35m by 21m)
Civil Parish TIBSHELF, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Oct 11 2016 2:58PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.