Monument record MDR11775 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Water Lane, Stony Houghton

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

In 1827, a Sunday school was erected by William Crookes, at a cost of £60. It is a plain stone building, and is also used as a place of worship by the Primitive Methodists. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a small, square-shaped Primitive Methodist Chapel on Water Lane, Stony Houghton. (2) The chapel is marked as 'Methodist Chapel (Disused)' on the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900. (3) Examination of modern maps shows that the building may still be standing but its current use is not clear [2009]. (4) The building is no longer shown on modern OS mapping [2011]. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 768.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXI - 3, 1898.
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4943 6646 (18m by 17m)
Civil Parish PLEASLEY, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Civil Parish SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 5 2017 3:35PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.