Building record MDR11776 - Former Primitive Methodist Chapel, Fox Hill, Scarcliffe
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1858 AD to 1858 AD)
- None recorded
'The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the village [Scarcliffe], built in 1858'. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Scarcliffe close to St Leonard's Church. (2) The chapel appears on the subsequent 2nd and 3rd edition OS maps c. 1900 - 30. (3, 4) Examination of modern maps shows that the building is probably still standing today, although its current use is not clear . (5) Looking at Google Maps Street View, this building has had many of its openings blocked up and double doors inserted in to its front elevation. It may be in use for storage . (6)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 102.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVI - 11, 1898.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <6> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 02/03/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4963 6877 (8m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:31PM