The 2nd ed. 25" OS map of 1898 shows a United Free Methodist Chapel on Mansfield Road, Creswell. (1)
The chapel was extended in the early 20th century. (2)
A Free United Methodist Chapel was built by subscription in 1894. It is a neat building of brick, capable of seating 300 persons. (3)
The chapel is a tall single storey building of brick with sandstone, yellow brick and terracotta dressings. It has a chamfered brick plinth course above which there is a flush sandstone band. The roof is gabled with Welsh slate pitches. The original entrance was in the west (front) elevation, although it was subsequently altered. The west wall has an elaborate terracotta string course which incorporates beak-head, diamond and quatrefoil motifs, and the west gable is ornately treated. The chapel is now (1993) used as a commercial/industrial unit and it is unclear when it ceased to be used for religious purposes. (4)
The United Methodist Chapel opened in 1896. The building was later extended. However, in 1947 the chapel was unable to continue alone and amalgamated with the two other denominations of Methodism in Creswell. The chapel was used after 1947 as a youth club and as an infant school in the 1950s before being sold in 1961 to a local oil blending company. Prior to its demolition in c. 2008 a photographic survey was carried out to create a permanent record of the former United Methodist Chapel with adjoining school room and rectory. Four phases of building were identified, beginning with the original late 19th century chapel or schoolhouse and ending with modifications made by Velvetone in the 1960s. (5)
Circa 1900 Chapel, School House and Rectory. Red brick with buff terracotta dressings and slate roof. Last used for light industry, awaiting details (2008) on proposed remediation works. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XIX - 16, 1898.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 244.
Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1995. Historic Building Report, Buildings at Creswell, Elmton with Creswell, Derbyshire..
Unpublished document: Bolsover District Council. 2008. Bolsover District Council Historic Environment Scheme 2008-2012.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 5275 7433 (28m by 39m)
ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 8:51AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.