Building record MDR11783 - United Free Methodist Chapel (site of), Mansfield Road, Creswell
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1894 AD to 1896 AD)
- None recorded
The 2nd ed. 25" OS map of 1898 shows a United Free Methodist Chapel on Mansfield Road, Creswell. (1) The chapel was extended in the early 20th century. (2) A Free United Methodist Chapel was built by subscription in 1894. It is a neat building of brick, capable of seating 300 persons. (3) The chapel is a tall single storey building of brick with sandstone, yellow brick and terracotta dressings. It has a chamfered brick plinth course above which there is a flush sandstone band. The roof is gabled with Welsh slate pitches. The original entrance was in the west (front) elevation, although it was subsequently altered. The west wall has an elaborate terracotta string course which incorporates beak-head, diamond and quatrefoil motifs, and the west gable is ornately treated. The chapel is now (1993) used as a commercial/industrial unit and it is unclear when it ceased to be used for religious purposes. (4) The United Methodist Chapel opened in 1896. The building was later extended. However, in 1947 the chapel was unable to continue alone and amalgamated with the two other denominations of Methodism in Creswell. The chapel was used after 1947 as a youth club and as an infant school in the 1950s before being sold in 1961 to a local oil blending company. Prior to its demolition in c. 2008 a photographic survey was carried out to create a permanent record of the former United Methodist Chapel with adjoining school room and rectory. Four phases of building were identified, beginning with the original late 19th century chapel or schoolhouse and ending with modifications made by Velvetone in the 1960s. (5) Circa 1900 Chapel, School House and Rectory. Red brick with buff terracotta dressings and slate roof. Last used for light industry, awaiting details (2008) on proposed remediation works. (6)
- <1> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XIX - 16, 1898.
- <2> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 244.
- <4> SDR20596 Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1995. Historic Building Report, Buildings at Creswell, Elmton with Creswell, Derbyshire..
- <5> SDR20530 Unpublished document: Brightman, J & Shakarian, J (ARS). 2008. United Methodist Chapel, Mansfield Road, Creswell, Derbyshire. Photographic Survey..
- <6> SDR22980 Unpublished document: Bolsover District Council. 2008. Bolsover District Council Historic Environment Scheme 2008-2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5275 7433 (28m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||ELMTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 8:51AM