Building record MDR11785 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), High Street, Clowne

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The Wesleyan Methodists have a small neat stone chapel at Clowne, which was erected by subscription in 1837, at a cost of £80. It will seat 60 persons. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a small Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on High Street, Clowne. (2) The chapel had gone out of use by the time of the 2nd edition OS map c. 1900. (3) The building has been demolished and the site has been redeveloped [2011]. (4-5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 732.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XIX - 11, 1898.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
  • <5> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 25/02/2011.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4889 7534 (6m by 7m)
Civil Parish CLOWNE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 12 2017 4:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.