Monument record MDR11788 - Methodist Chapel (site of), High Street, Clowne
Type and Period (1)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1857 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Association chapel, situated nearly in the centre of the village is a neat brick building, and will hold about 100. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a small Methodist chapel of unknown denomination on the High Street, Clowne. (2) The chapel was not in use by the time of the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900. (3) The chapel originally erected by the Wesleyan Association is now used as a Salvation Army barracks . (4) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building has been demolished . (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 732.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XIX - 11, 1898.
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 222.
- <5> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4917 7541 (12m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||CLOWNE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:31PM