Building record MDR11791 - Former Methodist Chapel, High Street, Whitwell
Type and Period (1)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1846 AD to 1846 AD)
- None recorded
The Wesleyan Association Methodists have a neat brick chapel situated at Whitwell. It has a gallery at the east end, and was erected in 1846 at a cost of £273, including land. It has seats for about 200, of which 150 are free. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a United Free Methodist Chapel on the High Street in Whitwell. (2) The United Methodist Free Church, originally the chapel of the Wesleyan Association Methodists, was erected in 1846, at a cost of £273. It is a plain brick building with a gallery at the east end, capable of seating 200 persons. The exterior appearance was improved about 12 years ago by a coating of stucco, and four new windows of coloured glass were recently inserted. (3) The chapel had gone out of use by the time of the 3rd ed. OS map c. 1930. (4) Examination of modern maps shows that the building could still survive but its current use is not clear . (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 787.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 270.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XIX - 8, 1898.
- <5> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5285 7676 (9m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:31PM