Building record MDR11792 - Whitwell Methodist Church, Portland Street, Whitwell
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1891 AD to 1892 AD)
- None recorded
The 2nd ed. 25" OS map c. 1900 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Dog Lane [Portland Street], Whitwell. (1) The Wesleyan Methodists are numerous in the parish [Whitwell], and possess a commodious chapel, built in 1891-2 at a cost of £1,130, raised by subscriptions. It is a neat oblong building of brick in the Gothic style, with sitting accommodation for 350. The old chapel [see SMR 15236], erected 1858, is currently used as a Sunday school. (2) Examination of modern maps shows that the building has had substantial modern additions and is still in use as a church . (3)
- <1> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XIX - 8, 1898.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 270.
- <3> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 5276 7662 (23m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:31PM