Building record MDR11797 - Valve House, Derwent Aqueduct, Upper Doe Carr Wood, Lea, Matlock Town
Type and Period (1)
- VALVE HOUSE (Early 20th Century - 1901 AD to 1920 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
The site is not shown on an OS map at the end of the 19th century, but is shown on an early 20th century OS map as 'Valve House' associated with the 'Derwent Aqueduct (Derwent Valley Water Board)', which appears to be a water supply pipe running over a long distance connecting a network of reservoirs. (1, 2) The valve house was identified at SK 3212 5770 during survey in 2008. There was no public access to the site, so it was viewed from the footpath 26m away. The building is orientated north-east to south-west and appeared to be of similar dimensions to the other valve house [SMR 19058]. (3)
- <1> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-8, 1898.
- <2> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-8.
- <3> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. C3/8.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3211 5770 (11m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM