Building record MDR11799 - Congregational Church, Nottingham Road, Long Eaton
Type and Period (1)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1876 AD to 1950 AD?)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c.1880 shows a small Congregational Chapel at the junction of Nottingham Road and Midland Street. (1) The chapel was substantially extended at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps shows that the church layout has not altered since that time and that it is still in use as a place of worship. (4) Bulmer mentions the church in 1895 before it has been extended: "The Congregational Church, in Nottingham Road, was erected in 1876, at a cost of £1,600. The building is only half the size provided for in the architects plans, and can be extended in conformity with the original size whenever the necessary funds are forthcoming. Behind the chapel are the Sunday schools, built in 1885, at a cost of £500." (5) The Congregational Church was built in 1876 at the Green on Nottingham Road and was the first stone building after the parish church. Previously, the congregation had used the barn chapel, vacated two years before by the Methodists. The Congregational schools were added in 1885. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LVI - 2,1900.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 556.
- <6> SDR20732 Bibliographic reference: Reedman, K. 1981. The Book of Long Eaton. p 122.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4913 3387 (20m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:46PM