Building record MDR11801 - Free United Methodist Church (Mount Tabor), Market Place, Long Eaton
Type and Period (1)
- UNITED METHODIST FREE CHAPEL (Victorian - 1884 AD to 1884 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows a Free United Methodist Chapel (Mount Tabor), also referred to as the 'Top Chapel', on the High Street in Long Eaton. (1) The chapel was extended at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps show that the building may survive. (4) The chapel was built on the site of the earlier Top Chapel dating to 1830 which held its last service in 1883 with Mount Tabor being opened in 1884. Mount Tabor closed in 1960. (5) The Methodist Free Church (Mount Tabor), in the Market Place, is a handsome building of brick ornamented with stone, erected at a cost of £4,000, to seat 850. (6) During the 1850's there was a dispute at the 'Top Chapel' which resulted in a takeover by what were termed 'rebels', who later became the United Methodist Free Church. Those Wesleyans that were displaced built a small chapel on Cross Street [see SMR 28413]. (7)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LVI - 2, 1900.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR20721 Archive: Derbyshire Local Studies. Summary information in parish file. Long Eaton, D4158.
- <6> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 556.
- <7> SDR20732 Bibliographic reference: Reedman, K. 1981. The Book of Long Eaton.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4916 3366 (29m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:46PM