Building record MDR11808 - St John's Baptist Chapel, Clumber Street, Long Eaton
Type and Period (1)
- BAPTIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1895 AD to 1895 AD)
- None recorded
The 2nd ed. 25" OS map c. 1900 shows a chapel on Clumber Street known to be the St John's Baptist Chapel. (1) The chapel opened in 1895 and closed in 1980 with the congregation moving to the current chapel on Station Road [see SMR 28414]. (2) St Johns Baptist Chapel was built by a splinter group after a dispute at Station Street in 1887. This faction first used the Primitive Methodist chapel in Chapel Street until 1895, when they built their own in Clumber Street, adding a schoolroom 1909. (3) Examination of modern maps show that the chapel is in use by the New Testament Church of God. (4)
- <1> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LVI - 2, 1900.
- <2> SDR20721 Archive: Derbyshire Local Studies. Summary information in parish file. Long Eaton, D3348.
- <3> SDR20732 Bibliographic reference: Reedman, K. 1981. The Book of Long Eaton. p 122.
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4889 3306 (19m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:46PM