The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a chapel on Wilne Street, Sawley, although does not specifiy the denomination. (1) The Chapel is still in use at the beginning of the 20th century but by the time of the 3rd ed. OS map of c. 1920 it has been demolished. (2, 3)
It is possible that this is the Wesleyan Chapel that Bulmer mentions in 1895. "The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat brick structure, built about 10 years ago to supercede an older one." However, Bulmer also mentions a Primitive Methodist Chapel in Sawley and as no locations are given for either chapel and their denominations are not marked on any of the historical maps consulted it is not possible to know which chapel is which. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LVI - 6, 1901.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 593.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4728 3158 (11m by 10m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.