The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 names a Chapel on Chantry Close, Sawley, although it is not easy to identify which building is being referred to. (1) The Chapel is not named on the 2nd edition, and may have been demolished. (2)
It is possible that this is the Primitive Methodist Chapel that Bulmer mentions in 1895. "The Primitive Methodists also have a chapel here." However, Bulmer also mentions a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Sawley and as no locations are given for either chapel and their denominations are not marked on any of the historical maps consulted it is not possible to know which chapel is which. (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 593.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4735 3153 (10m by 11m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.