Building record MDR11818 - Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, The Wharf, Shardlow

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" Os map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel next to the Trent and Mersey Canal, Shardlow. (1) The chapel appears to be in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) The Wesleyan Methodists have a small chapel in the village, erected in 1859. (4) Examination of modern maps show that the building is still standing but its current use in not clear [2009]. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LVI - 9, 1901.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 806.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4442 3054 (10m by 15m)
Civil Parish SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3695

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 19 2015 2:55PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.