Building record MDR11822 - The Old Chapel, Chapel lane, Barrow on Trent
Type and Period (1)
- NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1839 AD to 1839 AD)
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Congregational Chapel on Chapel Lane, Barrow Upon Trent. (1) The chapel is still marked as a being in use by the Congregationalists on the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 but had become a Wesleyan Chapel by the time of the 3rd ed. OS map c. 1920. (2, 3) The Congregationalists have a small "Bethel", erected in 1839, and served from Repton. (4) Bethel Chapel, Chapel Lane built 1839 for Independents, but now in Methodist use. Constructed of brick with a hipped slate roof, pointed-arched doorway with intersecting glazing bars in fanlight, and large date-tablet above. It has three lancet windows in side walls with cast-iron frames. A gallery to the south end. (5) A grade II listed non-conformist chapel dating to 1839. It is built of red brick with a hipped Welsh slate roof. The south elevation has a pointed doorway with 20th century double doors and a gothic fanlight. A stone panel above is inscribed: 'BETHEL/ERECTED ANNO DOMINI/1839'. The west and east elevations have three tall pointed windows with gothic glazing bars. There is a low vestry attached to the north that has two pointed windows with gothic glazing bars. The interior has a gallery with a panelled front, which is supported on two slender iron columns. See list description for more details. (6) Examination of modern maps show that the building is now 'The Old Chapel', a private residence . (7)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). LV - 13, 1901.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 706.
- <5> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 33.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82689.
- <7> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3543 2851 (11m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||BARROW UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2016 3:52PM