Building record MDR11824 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Ashbourne to Derby Road, Brailsford

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the Ashbourne to Derby Road, Brailsford. (1) The chapel appears to have remained in use during the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps show that the chapel is now 'Chapel House', a private dwelling. (4) A former Wesleyan Chapel which is a tall building of brick with a hipped tile roof. The entrance at the east end has a rusticated flat arch and keystone with two round arched windows with cast iron frames and intersecting glazing bars and a square tablet between with the inscription 'WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL 1821' (defaced since 1968). (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLIII - 16, 1900.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 36.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2475 4188 (17m by 16m)
Civil Parish BRAILSFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 10 2016 10:55AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.